1kg Pork knuckles
40g Rock sugar
5 Sweet dried plums
4 Star anises
250mL Dark vinegar (Chinkiang Vinegar)
2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp Dark soy sauce
2 tbsp Light soy sauce
1. Slice the shallot and ginger.
2. In a pot, bring the water to boil and blanch the pork knuckles for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. In a pot, add some oil on a medium high heat. Sauté the shallot and ginger until fragrant. Sear the pork knuckles until golden brown.
4. Add the Chinese cooking wine, dark vinegar, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, star anise, sweet dried plums, rock sugar and water (just enough to cover). Bring it to boil and reduce the heat to medium.
5. Cover the lid and cook for 2 hours until the knuckle is tender. Ready to serve.